4628

Photograph of North side of 5th street in Stewart, British Columbia in 1910

Currency:USD Category:Collectibles / Photographic Images - Antique Start Price:100.00 USD Estimated At:200.00 - 400.00 USD
Photograph of North side of 5th street in Stewart, British Columbia in 1910
SHIPPING & HANDLING: Shipping and Handling cannot be estimated prior to invoicing, based on the size and weight of your purchase. All shipping is subject to a minimum charge of $19.00. If additional shipping and handling costs are required, the buyer will be reinvoiced for the balance due. Items are not shipped until the invoice is completely paid. Many buyers purchase a number of lots. Every effort will be made to include all lots in a single shipping charge calculated to cover the weight and...
The Portland Canal was first explored and named in July 1793 by Captain George Vancouver in honor of William Henry Cavendish Bentinck, 3rd Duke of Portland (1738-1808), Home Secretary from 1794 to 1801. The area around the Portland Canal was again explored in 1896 by Captain D.D. Gaillard of the United States Army Corps of Engineers (after whom the Gaillard Cut in the Panama Canal was later named). Two years after Gaillard's visit, the first prospectors and settlers arrived. The Stewart brothers arrived in 1902. In 1905, Robert M. Stewart, the first postmaster, named the town Stewart. Gold and silver mining dominated the early economy. Nearby Hyder, Alaska, boomed with the discovery of rich silver veins in the upper Salmon River basin in 1917 and 1918. Hyder became an access and supply point for the mines, while Stewart served as the port for Canadian mining activity. Buildings identified include the Mocha Cafe Stewart News Stand (Martin & Peach), Stewart Land Company, R. Boyd Young General Store, Hotel King Edward, and Portland Cafe. Banner for Hospital Hall. Photo by Evans. Border has condition issues, but photograph has good contrast! 8 x 11". (Potter Collection) Date: 1910 Location: Stewart, British Columbia, zCanada HWAC# 58102