4077

Central Arizona Mining Co. Stock Certificate, 1881

Currency:USD Category:Coins & Paper Money / Stock & Bond - Mining Start Price:50.00 USD Estimated At:100.00 - 200.00 USD
Central Arizona Mining Co. Stock Certificate, 1881
SHIPPING & HANDLING: Shipping and Handling cannot be estimated prior to invoicing, based on the size and weight of your purchase. All shipping is subject to a minimum charge of $19.00. If additional shipping and handling costs are required, the buyer will be reinvoiced for the balance due. Items are not shipped until the invoice is completely paid. Many buyers purchase a number of lots. Every effort will be made to include all lots in a single shipping charge calculated to cover the weight and...
No. 3175, issued for 100 shares to D. Moff & Durant on July 8, 1881. Signed by the president (James Seymour) and secretary (M.A. Jones). Not cancelled. Ornate border and vignette of Native Americana pointing at a locomotive. Printed by American Bank Note Co. Folds and some toning. 6.5 x 11.25" The company owned the Vulture mine located 14 miles by road from Wickenburg at the southern margin of the Vulture Mountains, and about 9 miles west of the Hassayampa River. The Vulture mine was discovered in 1863 when a German named Henry Wickenburg and several companions discovered a butte of quartz with traces of gold. Mr. Wickenburg processed rich portions of the outcrop in an arrastra at the Hassayampa River. The Apache Indians made mining difficult and dangerous. In 1866, the Vulture MC acquired the property and built a 40-stamp amalgamation and concentration mill near the site of the present town of Wickenburg. All of the machinery for the mill was shipped from San Francisco by water to Fort Mohave, a landing on the Colorado River, and hauled overland via Prescott. In 1873, P. Smith and P.W. Taylor located a claim on the western extension of the Vulture lode and built a 5-stamp mill at the Hassayampa River. They operated for about six years and produced about $150,000 worth of gold bullion. In 1879, the Central Arizona MC was formed by James M. Seymour of New York to work the Vulture and Taylor-Smith mines. An 80-stamp mill was built at the mine. The company treated a large amount of low-grade gold ore. It is estimated the company produced about $2,000,000 worth of gold bullion during its operation. The company lost the ore body at the 300' level and the mine closed again in 1888. The Vulture mine had been the most productive of Arizona's gold mines. The town of Seymour was named after James M. Seymour, signer of this certificate. (Ref: Browne, 1868, p477; Burchard, 1882, p302; Wilson, 1967, p137, 157; Dunning, pp62-3, 120-1; Barnes, p196; Sherman, p136-7, 164-5; Spude et al, p5-6.) State: Arizona City: Vulture Date: HWAC# 60641