325.00USDto floor+ (56.88) buyer's premium + taxes, fees, etc...
SOLD at 2006 Aug 20 @ 22:09UTC-5 : EST/CDT
Did you win this item?
A full invoice should be emailed to the winner by the auctioneer within a day or two.
Original Johann Maresch Terracotta Sculpture c.1880
Johann Maresch, who was born on July 11, 1821 went into partnership with Adolf Baehr around 1841. Baehr had previously owned a factory in Pirna that produced ceramic wares and garden gnomes.
The partnership became a family affair. After the death of Adolf from Tuberculosis in 1849, Johann married Adolf's daughter, Wilhelminy Bahrove Maria Louisa on November 11, 1850, with the blessings of her mother Wilhelmina. Between the years of 1851 to 1868 they had ten children.
Baehr and Maresch Siderolith Fabrik was located on the corner of Teplitzerstrasse and Johannesstrasse in the town of Aussig an der Elbe. Originally they marked their wares with B and M, around 1863, they switched to the famous JM markings. They used an "ironstone" clay mixture: a type of porcelain that is more durable, having more strength and weight than fine porcelain. Their production was extensive. Their wares were shipped far and wide.
In 1890, Ferdinand his son took over the family business and for nine years kept the factory name the same eventually changing it Siderolith and Majolika Fabrik of Ferdinand Maresch. He however, did not change the distinctive JM markings that were stamped into the wet clay before firing.
During the early 1900's The company prospered under his management sending his wares through the rail and waterways into Europe and America.The factory was run by Ferdinand until his death on August 2,1940 The factory kept producing its ceramic wares, but hard times ...
View Complete Description
Title:Johann Maresch Terracotta Sculpture
Location:San Diego, CA.