900.00USDto floor+ (175.50) buyer's premium + taxes, fees, etc...
SOLD at 2012 Apr 21 @ 16:55UTC-5 : EST/CDT
Did you win this item?
A full invoice should be emailed to the winner by the auctioneer within a day or two.
This is an example of an improved Model GEW 98 rifle that was manufactured at the Amberg Arsenal in 1917 and subsequently reworked. The most notable improvements are the later style tangent rear sight and the wider lower band, which is marked "Su Ww 1936" (Spandau Waffen Werkestaat). The left receiver wall is marked "Gew. 98." with the receiver ring marked "crown/AMBERG/1917" on top, three proof marks on the right side and the left side is marked with a rampant lion along with the serial number. The tangent rear sight is graduated to 200 meters and the rifle has the rare dust cover. The matching serial number is stamped ahead of "S/42K" (mostly covered by the stock) on the left rear of the barrel. Most parts are marked with the matching partial serial number and crown proofs. One-piece pistol grip stock with hand guard, crown proofs over the letter "B" on the right side and various proofs on the inside of the wrist. Comes with a leather sling and an extended box magazine with chained cutoff wedge.
BBL: 29 inch round
Gauge: 8 mm
Serial Number: 2480o
Condition: Very fine as arsenal refurbished. The rifle retains 95% finish with wear on the muzzle, thinning on the front barrel band and floor plate, and some edge wear on the trigger guard. The magazine shows 80% finish, with some flaking and a brown patina in the exposed areas. The very good stock has a second coat of oil and has a few shallow gouges and scattered minor dings, dents and scratches. The sling is good with a small amount of age cracking. The markings are clear and the action is excellent.